Teach your kids how to modify recipes
When my kids ask, “Can I?” I usually say yes. The way I figure, if they are asking and not sneaking then it’s most likely productive. Now— “Can I have a cookie? Can I do something dangerous or bad for me? Can I watch a movie?” These are not the kind of can I’s I’m talking about. “Can I make banana bread and modify the recipe so it’s healthy and allergen free?” Yes- that’s the yes…
I’d like to share with you a DELICIOUS clean banana bread recipe that my daughters, Olivia and Isabella made completely by themselves. The took a recipe they found in an old cook book and modified it to take out gluten, sugar, and eggs (I normally would have put eggs but we were out and Sam is allergic anyway).
Please share this with your friends and their kids!
- 1 Stick of butter softened
- 1 cup of raw honey
- 2 mashed bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Loaf Pan – about 9X4 inches
- Coconut oil
- Large Bowl
- Rubber Spatula
- Cooling rack
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease pan with coconut oil
- In large bowl, mis together and cream: butter and honey until light yellow and creamy.
- Add mashed-up bananas and the eggs. Mix well.
- Add gluten free flour, baking soda, and salt and mix well.
- Scrape the batter into your loaf pan with the spatula.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the bread.
- Remove from pan and let cool for 15 minutes!
If your kids or you try Isabella and Olivia’s recipe, please post it on our Facebook page at: FB.com/losingitwithsamandash
Thanks for visiting Losing it With Sam & Ash. Our goal is to help others go from lives of just surviving the days and phases to thriving each and every day through personal & spiritual growth, compassion, community, and health. We'd love to hear from you!